Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Warm Blanket.


Ah Autumn.  It kind of took me by surprise, but now I'm settling into it's crisp air and welcoming all its harvest with open...mouth!  I don't know about you, but Autumn happens to be my favorite season.  Not just for the beautiful foliage, crisp air and holidays all about food, but because of it's gorgeous harvest!  Nothing quite beats a crisp Sweet Tango or Honeycrisp apple, a juicy Bartlett Pear, a sweet and savory roasted Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato, delightful pumpkin spiced treats, or hot apple cider...the list goes on and on.  I know it's Fall when I walk away from the Farmer's Market with several Butternut Squashes in tow.  This is hands down my favorite fall vegetable.  I'm not picky either.  I don't like to mess with a good thing, so I just cube it, add salt and pepper and a little olive oil, and roast it.  Done!  So simple and so delicious.  Some people will use this as a side...psssh.  Side?  Try a meal.  I will sit down and eat an entire squash for dinner.  No joke.  And at 60 calories for a cup uncooked squash?  Mow down guilt free!  
Isa was not kidding when she wrote that roasted Butternut Squash is like a warm blanket on a wet Autumn day.  Seeing as Sunday was just that, I felt it necessary to roast some up.  You might want to write down these complicated instructions...

Purchase beautiful Butternut Squash.  Look for ones without blemishes.  Preheat oven to 375.  Cut up your squash into 1/2-3/4 inch cubes.  How do you cut it up?  Cut the neck from the bulbous portion.  Peel.  Cut horizontally along the neck.  Same to the bulb.  Scoop out seeds.  Cube.  Spray a cookie sheet. Spread squash evenly so that the cubes aren't touching, otherwise it won't carmelize.  Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper.  Pop in the oven for 45 minutes, flipping the squash every 15 minutes.  Serve hot!  

No comments:

Post a Comment