Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Back on the Wagon

First off, I would like to give a shout out to Laura Hooper Beck, editor at large for VegNews, founding editor of Vegansaurus, community manager of VegWeb, and just all around spectacularly admirable vegan badass!  She is witty, charming and really lays in to the issues that need to be addressed.  Recently some ex-vegan with a new thesaurus decided to post her Conscious Case Against Veganism.  This just further solidifies my belief that you can never trust an ex-vegan.  Laura wrote an outstanding rebuttal to this nonsensical "argument,"  aka. her justification for eating animal products.  Whatever helps you sleep at night honey. 

Well, now that I'm trying to hop back on the wagon it's time to give you some healthy recipes!  (I cheated and had some dried pineapple rings sweetened with sugar...I know, I know.)  For the past month I've been living off of salads for lunch.  As you know, salads can threaten to bore you to death if you don't get creative with your assembly.  I was eating just a simple kale and spinach salad with microgreens, sprouts and my favorite processed dressing (Organicville Miso Ginger and Annie's Goddess dressings).  Bah!  Snooze fest!  I've started seeking out great salad and dressing recipes, and I've been thrilled by my creations!  I love making my own dressing.  It's quick, easy, healthy, and delicious!  Again Ani Phyo steps up to the plate with some great recipes from Ani's Raw.  Since I had never used fennel before I decided to try the Shaved Fennel with Blood Oranges, Poppy Seeds, and Micro Greens.  I was a little intimidated by the fennel, but it ended up being a delicious salad!  With the strong taste of fennel and the oranges, you only need to toss with a bit of oil.  I used flaxseed oil instead of olive oil to get a dose of my Omega 3. 

Shaved Fennel with Blood Oranges, Poppy Seeds, and Micro Greens
Makes 4 servings

1 large fennel bulb, trimmed
2 medium oranges, peeled
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or flax)
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
2 cups micro greens

Shave the fennel bulb into thin slice with a knife or mandoline.  Cut oranges into slice, cutting across the segments, and remove seeds.

Place oranges and fennel in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.  Let salad marinate for five to ten minutes to allow the flavors to blend. 

Top with poppy seeds and micro greens and serve at room temperature.

Tossed salad will keep for one day in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment